An apostille is a County and New York State certified copy of a record.  In our office, the record commonly requested is your marriage certificate, called a transcript, or your full marriage license, also called a “long form”.  You will need to obtain a certified copy of the document you need from the Town Clerk.  This is then taken to the County Clerk’s Office which authenticates the signature of the Town Clerk.  The County Clerk then attaches that certification to the document which then needs to be sent to New York State, Vital Records, which in turn authenticates the County Clerk’s signature and attaches a third document to the original to complete the apostille process. These are commonly required by other countries if you are registering your marriage or if you are bringing your spouse to the United States. As always, if you have any questions, please contact us.

Here is a link to the NYS Apostille Form

If you are out of the town or country, we can help facilitate the process and deliver your packet to the County who will forward it to the State.  You can email us for the steps needed, or, go to our Resident Portal and submit an application for an Apostille.  Payment is needed for the County and the State and will need to be sent in separately.

Related Forms